Death valley looked like this in 2010. I return in May of 2021 to see what has changed in me and in it.

Thursday, April 29, 2021

To see the New World

 


It has something to do with the Valley of the Shadow of Death.  As Hobbs said,
 “ The passions that incline us to peace are: fear-of-death and hope-for-commodious living”  And I ask, how does the notion of peace change through eleven years of aging?        

 




The land changes and I change.  I go to where I was eleven years ago, to find a new me and a new world.  It’s Nature and my nature that I wish compare, both in how they evolve and how their relationship evolves.  For example, the hiking rule of thirds, which says that the middle third of any hike is hardest.  It’s a rule gleaned from years of hiking, more a part of my nature than of Nature, and yet the two connect.  It’s as though someone takes notice of who is flourishing and who is not, and at what stages of life and hikes flourishing best happen.    

 


As a tree is not fooled by a midwinter thaw into opening its buds too early and letting tender young leaves freeze, and as it does so without eyes or nose or nerves, yet it knows what to do and when to do it.  A forestry graduate should have a better idea of how a tree does this.  And what of the rocks that I so admire and talk about at length in geologic time and at length of scientific data.  Are they too involved in the treeness of knowing and the humanness of hiking?  These things I want to learn.    




 


I know what I was doing in 2010 in Death Valley, and I know what I was doing one morning long ago in Tennessee as the full moon rose on a freezing evening, throwing shadows of the trees along our graveled driveway, all of them matched in girth and form, along its curving edge.  These stories are linked in this valley of death—she whom I was and she whom I am.




Looking at the trail again, I may roll my eyes and groan, or I may face its middle third with hope and understanding.  The work will never be easy.  

14 comments:

  1. What great project. I'm excited to hear what you learn about the eleven year interval. And I'd like to hear about that cold night in Tennessee some time!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. David, If we ever feel at liberty to mingle in person, I’d love a story-telling around a campfire, even around a light bulb. So much has assembled like water behind a dam. Sharon

      Delete
  2. Push of age
    Pull of spirit
    Old soil new exploit

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That's a fair way to say it, Bill, and what is the risk in doing a new exploit? Less, I say, than when I was young. But more important than that is the possibility of discovery and change, which possibility seems to increase with age.

      Delete
  3. Happy to be able to share this journey with you!

    See you soon!

    Love
    Kathabela




    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes Kathabela, I will speak of it when we meet. How much difference can there be between the windblown snow of Wyoming and the windblown sand of Death Valley.

      Delete
  4. I love how you parent landscape & human experience. Thank you Sharon!

    ReplyDelete
  5. It should say “present,” not parent, 🤣

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. As do you Alicia, each in unique ways. Thank you.

      Delete
  6. A lot of sand has shifted uder all our feet lately! I am anxious to travel with you vicariously and discover alongside you virtually. And when you get back we must hike together!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Can you guess who I am? Probably best I be known as "unknown"!

      Delete
    2. I have tried, bur cannot guess.

      Delete
  7. Sharon, I hope you never ever stop. I give myself
    permission to sit on a dune with you sometimes. (Jane Engleman)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I never intend to. Come sit on a dune with me any time.

      Delete