Death valley looked like this in 2010. I return in May of 2021 to see what has changed in me and in it.

Tuesday, May 4, 2021

How Well I Remember Sand Dunes

 

August 21, 2010 in the evening

Wind has eroded sand from the mountains around Death Valley and carried it southward for thousands of years.  It flows unimpeded until it hits a mountain that slows its speed, causing sand to settle out and accumulate.  Eddie currents of wind circle around Tucki Mountain reshaping the piles of sand a little more with every windstorm.  But the dunes remain trapped in this general area.  






May 4, 2021 - in the morning

Memory is like a sand dune shifting with time.  Today, as I trekked in the Mesquite Dunes where I trekked on August 21, 2010 just before sunset, I tried to remember.  I maneuvered that trailless labyrinth of loose sand along the same route, not feeling certain it was the same.  I remembered a certain high dune and a location from which I had photographed it.  Eleven years of change in both the dunes and my recollection of them became a study in our likenesses and differences—me with my memory, dunes with new shapes.  





Tucki Mountain

These two dated pictures show what I think is the same high dune.  I think so with memory changed because I have changed, and reduced by what I have forgotten.  The pictures show a similar but not identical dune, not exactly what it was, but recognized. 

This dune is like an old friend not seen in eleven years or more with whom I have reunited.  We are different, but we find enough likeness to believe we can still communicate.   


Michael Angerman has started a map of the places I stay on this trip.  The map will not change for a while as I stay in Beatty, Nevada, for about two weeks.   Google Map Link 


6 comments:

  1. Now you've gone and dune it! Trekking across the sands without a camel again. Well I see you have your trusty bicycle which is a good thing. Are you planning to ride it up one of the dunes or will you tuck yourself into Tucki mountain? Okay I'm done being silly but I'm glad to be in the best seat in the house to watch your journey.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Lois, I love your kind of silly. The best seat is on a bicycle, not a camel which bites and has only one gear. Neither, however, does well in a house. But today in a jeep on a rough dirt road I wished for a camel.

      Delete
  2. eleven years later
    how the wind
    shapes her face

    the me in memory
    face to face the dunes
    of death valley

    sun and shadow
    the shifting sands
    of forgetfulness

    posted these
    , written inspired by you on awakening
    This morning..here too
    https://m.facebook.com/story.php?story_fbid=4223525691045813&id=108107262587697

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Kathabela, Thanks for a good take on two faces — mine and a dune’s — meeting after eleven years of shifting sand. Btw, the link does not open.

      Delete
  3. hammered gold
    shaped into
    soft curves
    where the sun
    highlights its beauty

    on the photo taken 5/4/2021

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes Erika, I imagine a little figurine of solid gold, how much different it would look, or how similar, and wonder why gold is more desirable.

      Delete